Taken for Granted

This time of social distancing and quarantine has made me realize how much I have taken going to church for granted.

Growing up as a preacher's kid, we went to church often. We had services on Sunday morning Sunday night and Wednesday night just like many do. There were times as a teenager that I didn't want to go and honestly there have been times as an adult that I didn't want to go to church.

Now that I can't go to church I want nothing more on Sunday mornings than to go - to sing hymns with our church family, to sit in the same pew we always sit in and listen to the prayers and sermon and know that I am in a room with people who believe the same things, who read the same Bible and who love and worship the same God.

On Wednesday nights I wonder what the kids who were normally at Hamburg learning about God and reading the Bible are doing now. Are they opening the Bibles that they have? Are they praying? Are they going to come back to church once they can? 

After I recorded Dad's sermon today he mentioned about how people have been taking things for granted and I had been thinking about this all week. Last Sunday was Easter Sunday and to be at home watching a sermon online and listening to worship songs online really made it sink in that we are so blessed that we can still have church even if we are not together and it made me realize that I have taken going to church for granted. It was habit, it was just the norm and I don't want it to be that way. Once the social distancing orders are lifted and we can go back to church and be together with our church family I pray that we never take that for granted, that we grow stronger and do more amazing things for God, that we are closer to Him than ever before. This strange time that we are all experiencing can be used by God and can lead us to great things for His glory.

"For I know the plans I have for you, delcares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all you heart."

Jeremiah 29:11-13


Comments

Popular Posts